Sunday, March 28, 2010

Coraline

Coraline is a film about a girl that moves to a new house and then finds a secret door, opens it and finds another world. Things in this world seem wonderful until she realizes this world is full of danger, evil and fury!



I really like the director of this film, Henry Selick. He made Nightmare Before Christmas. His style is unique so his movies are fun to watch.

I love the animation in Coraline. The characters looked shiny because their hair had a bluish color. They had long, graceful fingers. The "normal" character's eyes were so wide and the ghostly characters had tiny button eyes that looked empty and blank. This made them scary!

My four favorite scenes are:

1. The part where Coraline thinks she is talking to her mom. When her "mom" turns around, she has buttons in place of her eyes! This is not her mom. It is her "Other Mother." I liked this because it was unexpected.

2. Coraline had a helpful presence in the movie. I liked the scene where she first met this friend - a sleek black cat. This cat gave Coraline hints about how to save her real mother and father from the Other Mother. I love cats, so I liked that Coraline was friends with a cat.

3. The black rats were really scary antagonists in the movie. They worked to stop Coraline from getting her mother and father back. In one scene, they were juggling some pearls that Coraline needed to save other people who had buttons sewn in place of their eyes, and who were prisoners of the Other Mother. Coraline had to figure out how to get those pearls.

4. I especially liked the fact that Coraline found a door, unlocked it and discovered... a brick wall. Then, she tried again at night, and the brick wall had vanished and a tunnel to another world was in its place. I have a little door in my house. Maybe I have an Other Mother!

If you like creepy, odd, ghostly movies - you will love this movie!

2 comments:

  1. My little boys (5 and 6) were pretty scared by this movie, Ella, but I'm with you. I love creepy, odd, ghostly movies! And I love, love, love your blog. I've been wondering where the For Kids, By Kids critiques were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bridget.

    The next movie I might write about is "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs." This is more funny than scary, so maybe your boys would like it!

    Love,
    Ella

    ReplyDelete